Thursday, March 5, 2015

What can I do? Little Hands Making Big Differences, how?

So many of us ask this question, "What can I do?". We tend to think that humanitarian work or volunteering is strictly for Doctors, nurses, or adventurous teachers. This simply is not the truth. We all can do something and we all need to do something. We all have something special we can offer and no job or amount is too small. 

Our Vice President of Tabibu Africa, Inc explains his initial struggle with that exact question. 

"Why is humanitarian work important to me? I believe that we owe it to ourselves to do something to help our fellow brothers and sisters, our communities, our future.

Through education and empowerment we can give people the tools and knowledge to change their future and the future for their children. With my background in plumbing I often ask myself what can I do?  How can I help and make a difference? I’m not a Doctor, Nurse, or educator. Or so I thought. I now can say that I’ve worked in numerous health clinics in anything ranging from organizing medications, helping to clean wounds, and holding hands. 



Because of my plumbing background I was able to help develop a hygiene education program that covers personal hygiene, sanitation and waste disposal.  I have also found myself in the “Teacher” role heading a few of these sanitation classes. My next goal for the organization is to help the people get access to clean water or how to make the best of the water that they have.  One of the latest workshops I held was how to make your own water filter out of supplies you can find around your home and village. To see the sense of empowerment come over all of the women when they found they had the power to make clean drinking water for their children was priceless.  I next hope to raise enough awareness and funding to place a well at our Little Giants School which will give them an abundance of clean and safe drinking water. I also hope to have more sanitation workshops and programs in place.

Seeing the conditions the people we are trying to help will change anyone‘s perspective on how we live our lives. We are on this earth for such a short time we owe it to ourselves to make the most of it. So you don’t need to have a specific degree or career in something in order to help. We all play a role and we all can do something. We all should do something." ~ George Msingi Olonana Mattena

Little Hands Making Big Differences!



No comments:

Post a Comment